Give a Day is a movement of Canadians who are responding to the crisis of AIDS in Africa by giving a day’s pay on World AIDS Day, December 1.
- There are currently 34 million people living with HIV/AIDS worldwide (UNAIDS)
- AIDS is the number one cause of death globally for women of childbearing age (UNAIDS)
- Of the 16.6 million children who have lost parents to AIDS, close to 90% live in sub-Saharan Africa (UN Secretary General)
- Sub-Saharan Africa is home to 91% of all children who need HIV treatment. In 2010, only 21% in the region were receiving it (WHO)
- In some sub-Saharan countries, there are as few as 2 physicians per 100,000 population. In Canada, this figure stands at 190 (WHO)